SmokefreeVET is a mobile text messaging service for military Veterans who receive their health care through VA. The program was created to provide 24/7 encouragement, advice, and tips to help smokers quit smoking and stay quit. It is a 6 to 8 week program, depending on when you set your quit date. Users will receive 1-5 messages per day and can receive additional quit support by using one of SmokefreeVET’s keywords.
There are 2 ways to sign up:
1. By phone: Text the word VET to 47848 from your mobile phone, answer a few questions, and you'll start receiving messages.
2. Online: Click the sign up tab at the top of this screen or copy/paste this URL in your browser: http://smokefree.gov/VET. You’ll then fill in some questions on our web form and begin receiving messages.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Cost: There is no additional fee for this service. However, message and data rates may apply. If you pay for individual texts, this program may not be right for you. Check with your mobile provider.
- Unsubscribe: If you would like to unsubscribe from SmokefreeVET, text the word STOP to 47848 to end the program. For help, text the word HELP to 47848.
- Technical supportTechnical support is available to help you sign up and use SmokefreeVET. If you need help or have any questions, please contact NCISmokefreeTeam@mail.nih.gov.
For more information on the SmokefreeVET program, please read the Frequently Asked Questions section.
We would like to acknowledge Louisville Metro Public Health & Wellness for sharing their ButtOut Text Messaging Tobacco Cessation Campaign text library to guide the development of the original SmokefreeTXT message library.
For more information on VA’s smoking and tobacco cessation programs, visit: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/smoking/.