SmokefreeTXT - About
SmokefreeTXT is a mobile text messaging service designed for adults and young adults across the United States who are trying to quit smoking. The program was created to provide 24/7 encouragement, advice, and tips to help smokers quit smoking and stay quit. It is a 6 to 8 week program, depending on when you set your quit date. Users will receive 1 to 5 messages per day and can receive additional quit support by texting one of SmokefreeTXT's keywords.
There are 2 ways to sign up:
1. By phone: Text the word QUIT to 47848 from your mobile phone, answer a few questions, and you'll start receiving messages.
2. Online: Click the sign up tab at the top of this screen or copy/paste this "http://smokefree.gov/smokefreetxt" in your browser. You'll then fill in some questions on our web form and begin receiving messages.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Cost: There is no additional fee for this service. However, message and data rates may apply. If you pay for individual texts, this program may not be right for you. Check with your mobile provider.
- Unsubscribe: If you would like to unsubscribe from SmokefreeTXT, text the word STOP to 47848 to end the program. For help, text the word HELP to 47848.
- Technical support: Technical support is available to help you sign up and use SmokefreeTXT. If you need help or have any questions, please connect with us on Facebook or contact NCISmokefreeTeam@mail.nih.gov.
For more information on the SmokefreeTXT program, please read the Frequently Asked Questions section.
We would like to acknowledge Louisville Metro Public Health & Wellness for sharing their ButtOut Text Messaging Tobacco Cessation Campaign text library to guide the development of the original SmokefreeTXT message library.